POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Nikon D90 : Re: Nikon D90 Server Time
9 Oct 2024 07:15:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nikon D90
From: Darren New
Date: 29 Jun 2009 14:39:33
Message: <4a490a65$1@news.povray.org>
Fredrik Eriksson wrote:
> Your D90 can do this too, though the image is displayed on the back LCD
> instead of in the viewfinder.

Yeah. The Sony I have does both, which is nice when it's bright out. And (as
I said) you can tip the LCD on the Sony so you can shoot from other angles.

> The main drawbacks of not having a mirror are that you cannot have a
> through-the-lens optical viewfinder or phase-detect autofocus.

Sure. I'm just not sure what the benefit of an optical viewfinder is over an
LCD viewfinder.  The Sony seems to do a better job of autofocus, but then
I've had years to play with it and learn its quirks, so maybe phase-detect
is a better method.

> Actually, there are two mirrors. The big one is indeed semi-transparent.
> Most of the light is reflected up towards the viewfinder and exposure
> meter, and the rest goes to the smaller mirror which reflects the light
> down towards the autofocus sensor. Linear polarisers can mess with
> exposure because they can alter the proportion of light that reaches the
> exposure sensor.

More precisely, they'll screw up your half-silvered mirrors' reflections.
The linear polarizer is exactly messing with reflections off transparent
surfaces (i.e., prisms), which is exactly why you wear them when fishing or
driving in a car with glass windows that have reflections in them otherwise.

I didn't find the circular polarizer to have any noticable effect on my
photos, tho.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western