POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's venom: Acrobat : Re: Today's venom: Acrobat Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:26:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's venom: Acrobat
From: Invisible
Date: 29 Jun 2009 10:03:23
Message: <4a48c9ab@news.povray.org>
>>> I stupidly assumed that since we have PDF editing software, it would be
>>> easy to, you know, edit the PDF file.
>> Yeh you'd think so, but for some reason they seem to want to make it really
>> hard/impossible to actually modify any detail on a PDF page.  I always
>> wondered myself if there was any software capable of doing this...
>
> I thought that was the purpose of PDF. Not being able to change documents,
> unless you have the original, is perfect for version control.

On the contrary, you can build PDF "forms" which can be filled in
electronically and returned. (But only if you have the server-side
technology. Isn't that nice?) The whole marketing for Adobe Acrobat
talks about "collaboration" and exchanging data and vivid, "alive"
documents.

Adobe Acrobat can indeed alter several aspects of a PDF file. Just not
any of the *useful* ones...

We use a 3rd-party product for version control. The files you get from
it might be editable, but the "definitive version" is whichever one
exists in the document control system, so it doesn't matter.