POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP MJ : Re: RIP MJ Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP MJ
From: somebody
Date: 28 Jun 2009 18:42:23
Message: <4a47f1cf@news.povray.org>
"Mueen Nawaz" <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote in message

> > Do you believe that it's all black and white? That if MR crossed a
certain
> > treshold (say, 12 episodes of racist rants per year) that you'd consider
him
> > a racist, but anything below that you would not? Can you honestly say
even a
> > single episode will not change your mind about him just a little bit?

> Nope. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.
>
> I need a certain threshold before I will even _consider_ whether
> someone is a racist. That's not being binary.

You don't consider whether someone's a racist below a treshold, you consider
whether someone's racist above it. However you word it (and yes, I realize
the difference between X and considering the possibility of X), it's a
binary proposition.

> My threshold isn't "one incident" (at least in MR's case).

Is it 3, 5, 25? Why do I have a feeling you won't be willing to share that
treshold with us? :P

Personally, one incident is enough for me to entertain the notion, and I
don't have a problem with thinking that someone might be very mildly racist.
Of course the more incidents, the stronger my conviction is about the
strength of the racism, but I cannot really pinpoint a treshold. It's
entirely possible your mind works very differently in that respect.