POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question about Transformers : A question about Transformers Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:27:41 EDT (-0400)
  A question about Transformers
From: Warp
Date: 28 Jun 2009 15:35:50
Message: <4a47c616@news.povray.org>
Even though I am of the right age group, I nevertheless succeeded in
missing the *entire* Transformers craze of the 80's and I didn't see
even one single episode of the animated series. Thus I have zero knowledge
on the franchise.

  I watched the two recent movies, though. Just watched the new one today.

  One thing I liked about the movies is the amount of effort they put into
designing their robots and their alternate vehicle forms: Rather than going
the cheap way and design them as they just saw fit, they actually went and
designed them 100% realistically: Every single piece, as connected to the
rest, does indeed form a part of the vehicle/robot, and moves in a way
required for the transformation to happen. Even though the robot might
look several times larger than the vehicle, they both nevertheless have
all the same material. No overlapping, no parts going through each other,
no physically impossible movement, no disappearing or appearing parts.

  It's this kind of attention to detail which makes me appreciate a movie
more.

  Anyways, my question is related to the Transformers story universe:

  If the Transformers are robots from a distant planet who came to Earth,
how come they can transform into modern vehicles (and other devices) just
like that? It's obviously impossible for them to have been "born" like
that. They must have aquired the ability to transform into those precise
vehicles on Earth. But in the movies it has never been shown that they
could alter their own bodies so that they could transform into something
new. So exactly how did they get the proper body parts to transform into
modern Earth vehicles?

  For example most of the Transformers which transform into cars have
glass windows, in both car form (obviously) *and* robot form, because
they are just composed of all the necessary parts needed to form the
car. They don't somehow magically convert matter into a different shape
(eg. create glass from nothing). Or at least that's the impression I get
from the movies.

--
                                                          - Warp