POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : For Warp : Re: For Warp Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:26:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For Warp
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Jun 2009 15:29:39
Message: <4a47c4a3$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> The real killer for such a system is the number of people who *do* assume
>> 8-bit bytes. What happens when you have 10-bit characters and you call
>>    write(14, "Zoop", 4)
>> and handle 14 is a TCP socket?
>
> Hell breaks loose?

I don't know. But that's the problem Ada solves by separating out "bytes of
memory" from "bytes of I/O".  Of course, as Warp points out, for 99% of the
population not writing code for embedded processors in weapons systems,
those two types are always the same and it's annoying as hell to write any
I/O stuff in Ada. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western