POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : For Warp : Re: For Warp Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:27:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For Warp
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Jun 2009 15:07:01
Message: <4a47bf55$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> """
> The C++ language guarantees there are no bits that are part of two
> distinct bytes. This means a change to one byte will never cause a
> change to a different byte.
> """
>
> I wish he'd actually cited the part of the standard that says things
> like this. It would be interesting to know how it was actually worded.

Actually, thinking on this, it's obviously impossible to follow the
standards on any machine with virtual addressing, too. It's easy to tell
Linux (or at least the CPU, even if Linux prevents it) to map the same byte
to lots of different locations.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western