POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : For Warp : Re: For Warp Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:26:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For Warp
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Jun 2009 14:54:53
Message: <4a47bc7d$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/intrinsic-types.html#faq-26.6

"""
The C++ language guarantees there are no bits between two bytes. This means
every bit in memory is part of a byte. If you grind your way through memory
via a char*, you will be able to see every bit.
"""

I find it hard to believe you could even enforce that in a language. I'm
quite sure there are architectures where C can run that have memory
unaddressable by a char*. Certainly there are bits in floating point
registers (or even regular CPU registers) that many architectures don't give
you addresses for. Memory in memory-mapped panes (i.e., addressing more bits
than you have address space for) would also seem to be outlawed.

"""
The C++ language guarantees there are no bits that are part of two distinct
bytes. This means a change to one byte will never cause a change to a
different byte.
"""

I wish he'd actually cited the part of the standard that says things like
this. It would be interesting to know how it was actually worded.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western