POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP MJ : Re: RIP MJ Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP MJ
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 28 Jun 2009 14:38:18
Message: <4a47b89a$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:01:47 -0500, Mueen Nawaz wrote:

> On 06/28/09 12:36, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> He was accused of actual inappropriate behaviour, and from the little I
>> read, it seemed there was evidence of such inappropriate behaviour.  I
>> agree with this:
>
> 	Inappropriate by a large portion of society. As somebody pointed
out
> with the Bashir documentary clip, he even admitted to behavior that many
> people would find inappropriate.

This is how laws are formed a lot of the time.

> 	It isn't, however, illegal. And I suspect it's not even
"universally"
> inappropriate (in terms of all of humanity).

Um, some of the things he was accused of are in fact illegal.  That's why
he went to court.

> 	My bottom line is that we're all free to dislike him for those
things
> that are quite clear. However, while I might not want my kids around him
> without some reliable adult monitoring, I'm not going to judge other
> parents who let their kids hang around him.

Well, you're entitled to do that.  I would deem those parents
irresponsible at least to just think that it's OK to let their kids sleep
over with him because he's a star.  It's naive to think that the stage
persona is the "real person" persona and that his popularity means that
he's safe to leave your kids with.

Those who were willing to let their kids stay with him when they didn't
know about him as a *person* might just as well have left their kids with
some other stranger.  Just because someone is famous doesn't mean that
you know them.

Jim