POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stupid drivers : Re: Stupid drivers Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:24:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stupid drivers
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Jun 2009 13:32:17
Message: <4a4657a1$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 13:12:47 -0400, Chambers wrote:

>> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> > Yeah, that's my issue as well.  If they legislate "texting is illegal
>> > while driving", then they have to do "eating a cheeseburger is
>> > illegal",
>>
>> Nah. I think the difference is that way more people talk on the phone
>> than eat while driving, and when you outlaw talking on the phone they
>> start texting.
>
> But then couldn't someone say, "You have a law against texting, so I
> knew that was bad, but there's no law against doing my tie so I didn't
> know it was dangerous?"

Exactly.  Laws like the no-texting law in Utah tend to (a) give people an
excuse for doing something that isn't *explicity* stated as illegal, and
(b) keep people from applying simple common sense to everyday
situations.  But at least here in the US, our society is going towards
"set rules that require nobody to think" - like Zero Tolerance policies
in schools and businesses.

On that topic, I'm glad the US Supreme Court ruled on the school strip
search the way they did.  Finally, some common sense.

Jim