POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stupid drivers : Re: Stupid drivers Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:23:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stupid drivers
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Jun 2009 13:30:29
Message: <4a465735$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 20:36:47 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> accident, they can increase the fine and the severity of the offense
>> you're charged with.
>
> That, and convincing people who don't think they're more dangerous
> because they're doing it that they really are. Same as drunk driving
> laws - trying to get people to plan for having a designated driver,
> rather than just saying "Oh, I drive just as well after a couple beers."

Well, I've not been convinced that I'm any more dangerous talking on the
phone while driving than not.  But I also use a headset, shift over to
the right hand lane, and slow down.  I know many people don't, but
continue to drive as aggressively (if not more so) when on the phone -
they get into an intense discussion and that intensity works into their
driving style as well.

That *is* more dangerous, I agree.  But at the same time, the twits who
weave in and out of heavy traffic like they're in a F1 race are more
dangerous than anything on the road.

What needs to happen is that first there needs to be more enforcement
(but that costs and budgets are being cut or kept level) for just plain
old reckless driving.  If you happen to be driving recklessly and doing
something else at the same time, that's a problem as well.

But if you're not posing a danger to yourself or others on the road by
texting/talking/eating/whatever while driving, the cops shouldn't waste
their time citing you (and they won't - kinda like the original seat belt
laws, they couldn't pull you over for a seat belt violation, but they
could add that if they stopped you and you weren't wearing one).

>> Yeah, that's my issue as well.  If they legislate "texting is illegal
>> while driving", then they have to do "eating a cheeseburger is
>> illegal",
>
> Nah. I think the difference is that way more people talk on the phone
> than eat while driving, and when you outlaw talking on the phone they
> start texting.

You haven't seen Utah drivers. ;-)

Jim