POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stupid drivers : Re: Stupid drivers Server Time
9 Oct 2024 05:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stupid drivers
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Jun 2009 22:47:23
Message: <4a45883b$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:48:42 -0400, Chambers wrote:

>> In a way, I understand why there are laws in some locales (including
>> here in Utah now) prohibiting texting while driving, talking on a cell
>> phone while driving, etc.
>
> I always thought those laws were unnecessary and redundent, but IANAL.

IANAL either, but I agree.  Though I understand that the reason isn't so
much because you're going to get pulled over for it, but if you're in an
accident and they find out that you were texting at the time of the
accident, they can increase the fine and the severity of the offense
you're charged with.

> If someone got in a wreck because they were texting, why can't they just
> be charged with reckless driving?  Why do we need a separate law to say
> that not paying attention is reckless?

Yeah, that's my issue as well.  If they legislate "texting is illegal
while driving", then they have to do "eating a cheeseburger is illegal",
"shaving is illegal", etc.  A case of creating laws that are too specific
rather than something that's a bit more generic.  Of course, lawyers
don't like "generic" because it lacks specificity.

Jim