POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : For Warp : Re: For Warp Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:12:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For Warp
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 26 Jun 2009 09:10:00
Message: <4a44c8a8$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/26/09 05:31, Warp wrote:
>    Btw, I have never understood why "kilobit" is so popular of a term.
> Many things are measured in kilobits for no apparent reason, even though
> other similar things are measured in kilobytes.

	Like Andrew, I've seen it only in communications (and encoding is also
considered part of communications...).

	Think modems (the phone ones). In the old days, it was all baud. 1 baud
is 1bit/s. It probably has stuck since.

	Incidentally, I think with old modems, sending 1 byte didn't entail
sending 8 bits. I think they had two error correcting bits, making
sending 1 byte the same as 10 bits. If there's truth to that, I can see
why it'd make sense to specify bits.

--
Q: What do you call a half-dozen Indians with Asian flu?
A: Six sick Sikhs (sic).

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl