POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : For Warp : Re: For Warp Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:27:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For Warp
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Jun 2009 06:43:54
Message: <4a44a66a$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Btw, I have never understood why "kilobit" is so popular of a term.
> Many things are measured in kilobits for no apparent reason, even though
> other similar things are measured in kilobytes.

The only place I've seen it used is in networking (most kinds of
networks transmit individual bits) and data compression (you might want
to send the data over a network or other transport, and you need to
compress it enough that the decoder can receive the data fast enough).
Haven't seen it anywhere else. (As you say, it wouldn't make much sense.)