POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Media usage : Re: Media usage Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:38:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media usage
From: Chris B
Date: 26 Jun 2009 03:59:40
Message: <4a447fec$1@news.povray.org>
"Micheus" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.4a44229c438fc1f62d939b70@news.povray.org...
> "Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
>> The example I posted contained two media statements within the interior
>> statement and they're cumulative, so, if it still contains 2 that could
>> potentially explain the difference in brightness. (Just a guess).
>
> Ok.
> I will try work around my problem with this tip.
>
> Thanks Chris.

I wasn't really suggesting this as a workaround. I was just suggesting that
this might be an explanation for the difference.

To turn up the brightness in an image there are several ways that you'll
probably find easier.
You can adjust the brightness of the output for the whole scene using the
assumed gamma setting. For example:

global_settings {assumed_gamma 0.7}
Note that reducing the assumed gamma value increases the brightness of your
scene.

Alternatively you can oversaturate the color of individual components.
Although individual RGB color components are usually specified as numbers
from 0 to 1, POV-Ray doesn't stop you specifying higher values. For example,
if the camera is looking straight at a white light you could choose to
represent the white light object as having an oversaturated RGB setting of
<10,10,10> (or give it a high ambient setting) to make sure that all parts
of it show up as a bright white and you don't any dimming on parts of the
object.

In the case of your media settings, specifying twice the amount of color in
a single media statement give the same result as adding duplicate media
statements. So, where you're using a color of <1,0.8,0> you might like to
try 2*<1,0.8,0>.

One word of warning; when POV-Ray works out the color of a pixel in the
output image it will clip any individual color component value the
calculated value ends up greater than 1. This can change the color. For
example, If it calculates a pixel to be <1.23,1,0.5> it clips the Red
channel giving <1,1,0.5>, which actively changes the color balance of that
pixel.

With emissive media this clipping may actually help to achieve the effect
you are looking for. I just tried specifying emission rgb 10*<1,0.5,0.1>
which gives a white centre (the brightest parts are clipped to <1,1,1>) a
yellow cloud around the edge of the shape (where it gets clipped to
<1,1,0.n>) and a reddened outer halo near the edge of the container object.
So you may want to try something like:

object{ wo_0_cube1 hollow
   interior {
    media {emission  rgb 10*<1,0.5,0.1>}