POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stupid drivers : Re: Stupid drivers Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:13:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stupid drivers
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Jun 2009 01:47:11
Message: <4a4460df@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 22:11:19 -0400, Chambers wrote:

>> On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:40:51 -0400, Chambers wrote:
>>
>> > In all honesty, it hurt, but I'm glad that nothing worse happened.
>>
>> Same here.  Drivers on the roads act stupidly a lot - it sounds like
>> you're a sensible rider, too.  There are lots of cyclists here in Salt
>> Lake City that seem to think they don't have to obey the rules of the
>> road - I've seen them blow stop signs/lights, ride on the wrong side of
>> the road (or the sidewalks, which is against the law here I
>> understand).
>
> In all honesty, I know that I do a lot of stupid things when walking or
> riding. Even so, I try not to do them in a stupid way.  For instance, I
> often jaywalk instead of heading for the nearest crosswalk... but I'm
> always careful about checking for traffic before I do so.  Things like
> that.
>
> With all that, however, I think that since people in cars are capable of
> causing so much more damage, then it's up to drivers to take extra
> caution.  Traffic in my direction had a green light, and her car was
> stopped... so naturally, I assumed it would be safe to cross in front of
> her.  Boy, was I wrong.

It's unfortunate that so many drivers drive with their attention
elsewhere.  In a way, I understand why there are laws in some locales
(including here in Utah now) prohibiting texting while driving, talking
on a cell phone while driving, etc.  It's because idiots don't pay
attention to driving.  I sometimes talk on my phone while driving, or
very very occasionally send my stepson a quick text while in the driver's
seat (at a stoplight, for example, or on a road with no traffic or risk
of accident), but I always remember that my first priority is to ensuring
that the operation of a ton of metal and plastic is done safely.  First
priority of my focus is on what's going on around me - and I'm extra
careful to not get distracted by a conversation if I'm moving.  Right
hand lane on the freeway (and not in rush hour traffic) in general.

I see that as acting responsibly while driving.  Only ever been in two
minor accidents, and only with other cars - and ironically not on the
phone.  Distracted by a police car once, and the second time it was the
other driver's fault for not paying attention (but somehow I ended up the
'at fault' driver, go figure).

>> ISTR there was a recent story in the local paper about someone on a
>> bike who ran into a *parked* car and the owner of the car was found to
>> be at fault, even though the car was properly parked.
>
> Now THAT is crazy.

Yeah, it certainly is....

Jim