POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video games : Video games Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:29:20 EDT (-0400)
  Video games
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Jun 2009 01:25:59
Message: <4a445be7@news.povray.org>
To anyone who has written a game...

Question: Did you enjoy playing it yourself? Games I wrote, I knew too much
about to enjoy playing them myself, other than testing they were right.
Indeed, sometimes the more I knew about a game, the less fun it was. (Like,
once I learned the production rules in detail for M.U.L.E., it was less
exciting.)

Premise: Infinite spawning of enemies on a level leads to less replayability
in a complex shooter game with lots of ways to win. This is because the
player cannot set arbitrary goals such as "clear the level using nothing but
the wrench/crowbar/whatever".   How fun would Thief be if the loot spawned
randomly when you weren't in the room?

Minor curiosity: Bioshock - is it qualitatively different on different
difficult levels, like Thief is, or is it just a rebalancing of hit-points
and damage levels?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western