POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Knuth says so : Re: Knuth says so Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:24:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knuth says so
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 25 Jun 2009 23:50:27
Message: <4a444583$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/25/09 15:50, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> Because the patent owner licenses the patents.
>
> Interesting. I thought the whole point of a patent is to financially
> cripple your opponents so you then have the whole market to yourself and
> can then charge extortionate prices for a poor quality product...

	I assume you're not joking.

	The point of a patent is to promote the knowledge of technology. The
government makes you an offer: Make your design public, and they'll give
you exclusive rights to it for a limited time. Sooner or later, the
patent will expire and not be renewed, at which point anyone can make
it. Also, even while the patent is valid, people can view the design of
the product, and it may inspire them to make a totally different product
- thus benefiting (?) society.

	The requirement to disclose the design a product may not be amenable to
a company. So sometimes they don't patent it, but maintain it as an
industry secret. I'm told that stuff like the Coca Cola recipe is such
an example.

--
Marge: "When I married you, I knew we wouldn't live in luxury."
Homer: "And I kept that vow."

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl