POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Knuth says so : Re: Knuth says so Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:28:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knuth says so
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Jun 2009 16:40:16
Message: <4a43e0b0$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> But what if I use the DFT to compress an image, but in a slightly
> different way to JPEG? Or if I compress the data in exactly the same
> way, but format the output file slightly differently? And just how
> different does it have to be?

That's why you read the patent. If you do every clause of one of the claims
of the patent, then you're infringing the patent.  Take a look at "claim 1"
of a patent some time.

> Question: If CDMA is patented, how come cell phones exist?

Because the patent owner licenses the patents.

> I wonder, how well do legal professionals actually understand computers?

That's why you need an engineering degree to be a patent officer in the US.
You have basically people who took a bachelor's in computers and a masters
in law, or vice versa.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western