POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Knuth says so : Re: Knuth says so Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:28:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knuth says so
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 25 Jun 2009 15:45:13
Message: <4a43d3c9$1@news.povray.org>
>> Or, to put it another way...
>>
>> JPEG, MPEG, and MP3 are all patented. That doesn't stop you from using
>> DFT for other purposes.

But what if I use the DFT to compress an image, but in a slightly
different way to JPEG? Or if I compress the data in exactly the same
way, but format the output file slightly differently? And just how
different does it have to be?

> And (Hi Andrew!) CDMA is patented for cell phones, but maybe not for
> other processes. You could probably use CDMA to deliver cable TV without
> running into the same patents you would using it for cell phones.

Question: If CDMA is patented, how come cell phones exist?

> Now, another problem with "software" patents are that they're hard to
> research.

Well, there is that too.

> Then again, I heard of a very expensive patent case where basically
> backoff/retry was patented for a particular yet wide-spread purpose, and
> the patent was upheld.  Which seems rather wrong to me, as it really was
> the obvious way to do it.  I think they need a test like taking a random
> professional and asking "If you had to solve problem X, how would you
> solve it?" And if the person gives the solution in the patent, throw it
> out.

I wonder, how well do legal professionals actually understand computers?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/