POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Knuth says so : Re: Knuth says so Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knuth says so
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Jun 2009 12:33:57
Message: <4a43a6f5$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
>> No. Really. It hasn't.  You can use that formula to draw pretty
>> pictures, for example, and they have no patent on that.
>
> Or, to put it another way...
>
> JPEG, MPEG, and MP3 are all patented. That doesn't stop you from using
> DFT for other purposes.

And (Hi Andrew!) CDMA is patented for cell phones, but maybe not for other
processes. You could probably use CDMA to deliver cable TV without running
into the same patents you would using it for cell phones.

Now, another problem with "software" patents are that they're hard to
research. Since they get read so widely, it's difficult to do a patent
search and figure out if it's already invented.  If you're working on a
machine to make aspirin, it's a safe bet that the patents that cover it
contain the word "aspirin", "analgesic", etc. If you're working on an
authentication system, most anything might be interpreted as authenticating
the user.

For example, there was one argument wherein the patent said "the user's
computer", and the defense had a system wherein the user could use any
computer (and indeed was intended to prove it was the right user at any
arbitrary computer), and the patent holder argued that it was "the user's
computer" due to the fact that it was the computer he was using, even tho
the patent talked about specialized hardware dongles attached to "the user's
computer", and the patent holder wanted "specialized dongle" to be read as
"any password-like mechanism, including passwords".  They also argued that
the SSL nonce acted as the dongle. That's the sort of crap that causes
trouble. Maybe there's just more stupid patent trolls in software, or maybe
this crap goes on all the time and I just don't see it since I do software.

Then again, I heard of a very expensive patent case where basically
backoff/retry was patented for a particular yet wide-spread purpose, and the
patent was upheld.  Which seems rather wrong to me, as it really was the
obvious way to do it.  I think they need a test like taking a random
professional and asking "If you had to solve problem X, how would you solve
it?" And if the person gives the solution in the patent, throw it out.

"If you needed to talk on a communication channel, and you wanted to reduce
interference during collisions, what would you do?"  "Well, try, and if you
get a collision, wait a little while and try again."  Bzzzt. Throw out the
patent.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western