POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Knuth says so : Re: Knuth says so Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:28:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knuth says so
From: Warp
Date: 25 Jun 2009 12:32:24
Message: <4a43a698@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   In the European patenting system the principle is that ideas and methods
> > cannot be patented, only real devices. I think it was like that in the US
> > as well, a century ago, but it gradually changed.

> Not particularly. The patents cover computers doing certain things.

  That's my point: Here ideas and ways of doing things (algorithms) cannot
be patented. Only real, physical devices (with working prototypes) can be
patented (at least in principle). You don't patent what the device *does*,
you patent the design of the device itself.

  In the US you can get patents for completely ridiculous things. For
example, check patent number 4022227, which is basically a patent for
combing your hair in a certain way. Or patent number 6368227: Swinging
a swing in a certain way.

  Or the infamous patent number 5443036: Excercising a cat using a laser
pointer. Note that it does not patent the laser pointer device. It patents
*using* it in a certain way, which is just ridiculous. I'd say limiting
how people can behave in the privacy of their own home is a violation of
basic human rights and constitutional law.

  If you want the *device* itself patented, check patents 6505576, 6557495,
6651591 and 6701872 (all of which patent basically the same thing, even
though that should be impossible).

--
                                                          - Warp