POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Knuth says so : Re: Knuth says so Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knuth says so
From: Warp
Date: 25 Jun 2009 07:32:01
Message: <4a436030@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> It's not just software

  My point is that with software that kind of job is ridiculous.

  In the European patenting system the principle is that ideas and methods
cannot be patented, only real devices. I think it was like that in the US
as well, a century ago, but it gradually changed.

  (Of course companies have their ways to get around the European patenting
system by playing with words, but at least the principle is there. A granted
software patent is much less likely to hold up in court in Europe than it is
in the US.)

--
                                                          - Warp