POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Knuth says so : Re: Knuth says so Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:23:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knuth says so
From: Darren New
Date: 24 Jun 2009 12:24:44
Message: <4a42534c$1@news.povray.org>
Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
> Then if I'm understanding correctly, the patent applicability is decided
> by looking at the final purpose of the use of the thing patented?

To answer technically, the patent applicability is decided by looking at the
claims. If you claim "A method for processing photographs to reduce
red-eye", then to violate it, someone has to work with photographs and has
to reduce red-eye. The exact same pixel math applied to a photo without any
eyes in it isn't violating the patent.

But it depends on the claim.

I've never seen a claim that says "We claim that aX^2 +bX +c = 0 is ...."

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western