POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : an extraordinary rotation question : Re: an extraordinary rotation question Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:26:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: an extraordinary rotation question
From: Chris B
Date: 24 Jun 2009 05:23:43
Message: <4a41f09f$1@news.povray.org>
"mysdn" <kam### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> "Tim Attwood" <tim### [at] anti-spamcomcastnet> wrote:
>
> < The more complicated your meshes get the harder it'll be to determine
> < where the corners of your mesh object are. It's worth the small amount
> < of time it takes to try to line up a corner with the origin in your
> < modeling package. That way you can just import the meshes,
> < and then place them into a union without having to manually
> < re-align each part.
>
> I use 3ds max and always center my models on XYZ 0,0,0 respectively on
> absolute
> world coordinates of max. I hope that's the right thing to do.

There's no absolute right or wrong, but being too rigorous about centreing
things can be problematic. If you centre the cabinet base and you
independently centre the segment of worksurface to go on top of it then,
because the two are a different depth, you have a slightly more complicated
calculation to do to align the two (ie it takes longer to code, test and
fix).

Other examples: Centreing a model of a door handle makes it slightly more
difficult to align it to the front of the door than if you model it with the
point at which it connects to the door at the origin. Vertically centreing 3
different sinks doesn't seem to be as logical as modelling them so that the
height at which they connect with the worksurface is consistent across all
your sink models. It might be easier to position your cabinets and slot them
together if the back left corner of a cabinet was always in a consistent
position.

It may be worth taking account of such assembly requirements when
considering what to use as your modelling datum for each element of the
construction.

Regards,
Chris B.