POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Povray 3.7 - duty cycle : not working or obsolete? : Re: Povray 3.7 - duty cycle : not working or obsolete? Server Time
22 Jun 2024 06:28:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 3.7 - duty cycle : not working or obsolete?
From: Alain
Date: 23 Jun 2009 19:19:13
Message: <4a4162f1$1@news.povray.org>

> First, hi to all the Povray community and team. And thanks for this great
> software I use for many years. This is the first time I post something here. I
> decided to look at Povray3.7, even if it is in beta, the new feature of
> Subsurface Scattering is attracting! There was a function in Povray 3.6 I use
> everytime is duty cycle. Time is not important, and I prefer to have some CPU
> time for me and my other applications instead of 100% rendering. In Povray 3.7
> this function seems to be not working. Is this a feature you'll drop in the
> next version? Or it is disabled for the beta?
>
> The other things are working normally for me, except some scenes with photon
> mapping, I found that caustics seems to be brighter in 3.6.
>
> Now, when I need some CPU time, I pause the render.

When you render with version 3.7, the process priority in "lower than
normal".

This means than just about every other processes have a higher priority.
In fact, on my computer, there are only 2 process running with a lower
priority: Idle and those of distributed computing projects that I
participate in, like Seti@home.

The result is that your other applications will take precedance, and
that the duty cycle setting is no longer usefull.

Historicaly, the purpose of that setting was so that a computer
operating in zero G had less chances of overheating. There is no thermal
convection in the shuttle or in the International Space Station.

Alain