POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : an extraordinary rotation question : Re: an extraordinary rotation question Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:27:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: an extraordinary rotation question
From: Chris B
Date: 23 Jun 2009 13:28:01
Message: <4a4110a1@news.povray.org>
"mysdn" <kam### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

> The first reason I came to this forum was to ask about rotations, now it's
> more
> like, am I doing all this the best possible way? In a design not all
> objects
> are cabinets, it may be sinks, lamps, couches these are mesh objects
> though.
> But now we talk about cabinets.

There's not necessarily a universally 'best possible' way. If you've got the
objects you need or you've got a way that you're comfortable with producing
them (e.g. a modelling tool) in the various configurations you need, then
there's no compelling need to change. The technique you've got may well be
the best way for you.

Currently you seem to be using meshes througout. This has the advantage of
being closer to other formats in case you want to interface to other
renderers or any modeller or 3D display applications in the future. OTOH
Using POV-Ray primitives, such as boxes, spheres etc could make the POV file
easier to read and more compact, but that depends whether you need anyone to
read it. If you are simply using POV-Ray to render from your application,
then those considerations may not be important.

> I produce all my cabinets from box_geom which is 100x100x100 in xyz size
> representing 100 cm, cause then I divide it by 0.01, so that I can
> multiply it
> by eg. 60 representing 60 cm, this for example can be a cabinets width or
> whatever, in short this way of dimensioning lets me work in mm.
>
> Any comments on how to approach producing this kitchen from SDLs, possibly
> you
> would suggest a Union for each cabinet?

You can use a union to assemble the components of the cabinet into a single
unit if you wish. One reason you may like to do this would be to be able to
position and orient the cabinet as a single unit, rather than having to work
out the tranformations required for each separate part of the cabinet. This
is only if it makes it easier for you to develop though. If you are more
comfortable keeping the components separate then I don't see any particular
need to join them together using a CSG union.

Regards,
Chris B.