POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Building a new PC : Re: Building a new PC Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:13:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Building a new PC
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 23 Jun 2009 05:04:47
Message: <4a409aaf$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Those temperatures aren't that hot, I had a P3 system that ran around
> similar temperatures, I had the BIOS alarm set at 85 and it went off
> sometimes during the summer.  IIRC CPUs can work up to 90 or 100 degrees.

AFAIK that depends on the CPU and where the heat sensor is actually
located. The surface tends to be pretty heavily cooled, so the nearer
the surface the sensor is, the less it shows on the same core
temperature. These days there's also lot of stuff that can care of the
heat - at least multiple cores (not in the case of P4, but on newer
ones) and caches.

-Aero