POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Building a new PC : Re: Building a new PC Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:16:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Building a new PC
From: scott
Date: 23 Jun 2009 04:56:26
Message: <4a4098ba$1@news.povray.org>

Those temperatures aren't that hot, I had a P3 system that ran around
similar temperatures, I had the BIOS alarm set at 85 and it went off
sometimes during the summer.  IIRC CPUs can work up to 90 or 100 degrees.

> It does seem to run somewhat faster, now, though. Still waaay too hot for
> my comfort, though. Maybe I'll bolt a peltier cooler on the case fan  ;)

Really it shouldn't need all that if you are not overclocking.  Assuming you
bought the correct heatsink and fan for the CPU you shouldn't be anywhere
near the maximum temperature.  Maybe the temperature reading is wrong for
some reason?

> Fun fact: The screws to the heatsink mount can back out and loosen over
> time. I only discovered this after I installed the new heatsink and fired
> up the computer, only to have it shut itself down in the middle of POST!
> After a few cycles of this and the occasional BIOS complaint that
> overclocking failed (huh? I've never overclocked my system...) I finally
> ripped of the new heatsink and noticed the screws were rather loose.

Did you check in the BIOS that the bus, CPU frequencies and voltages are all
set correctly?