POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Monday WTF : Re: Monday WTF Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Monday WTF
From: somebody
Date: 22 Jun 2009 18:35:44
Message: <4a400740$1@news.povray.org>
news:4a3fe354@news.povray.org...

>   Btw, why are some websites choosing to use proprietary Microsoft
> technology, namely silverlight? Didn't the world learn anything from
> the IE-only-webpages fiasco?
>
>   The most obnoxious infringer is the Webby Awards website:
> http://www.webbyawards.com/
>
>   According to them, "the Webby Awards is the leading international
> award honoring excellence on the Internet. Established in 1996 during
> the Web's infancy, the Webbys are presented by The International
> Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences, a 550-member body of leading Web
> experts, business figures, luminaries, visionaries and creative
> celebrities."
>
>   If they are honoring excellence on the internet, and the internet ought
> to be rather system-agnostic, why are they so tied up with proprietary
> Microsoft technology? Why is some of their content only available to
> people using a certain OS? Haven't they learned anything from the IE
> fiasco? Making webpages for one single software is *not* the way to go.

How is Silverlight fundamentally different from Flash or Java? They are all
proprietary but they run on multiple platforms (to varying degrees of
implementation). I think it's relatively early for chosing Silverlight over,
say, Flash at this point, but without early adopters or risk takers, nothing
new would be adopted. Maybe if makers of non-proprietary standards were not
so stuck up and conservative, they could anticipate or even shape new
trends. Why don't we have a practical non-proprietary 2D vector, 3D,
mathamatical expression, printable document, ...etc standards? The
bureacracy of non-proprietary standards failed to deliver what the users
wanted, but instead fell in love with impractical but academic standards
following the one bloated solution for every problem mantra. Enter vendors
of proprietary software to fill the void.