POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Building a new PC : Re: Building a new PC Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:13:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Building a new PC
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 22 Jun 2009 13:25:53
Message: <4a3fbea1$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

>> CRAP.
>
> Why crap?  You nicely proved that your CPU is not throttling itself to
> avoid going over 78 degrees...

It does seem to run somewhat faster, now, though. Still waaay too hot
for my comfort, though. Maybe I'll bolt a peltier cooler on the case fan  ;)

Fun fact: The screws to the heatsink mount can back out and loosen over
time. I only discovered this after I installed the new heatsink and
fired up the computer, only to have it shut itself down in the middle of
POST! After a few cycles of this and the occasional BIOS complaint that
overclocking failed (huh? I've never overclocked my system...) I finally
ripped of the new heatsink and noticed the screws were rather loose.

Thankfully, Intel processors will shut down the system if they get hot
enough to start a fire.

--
~Mike