POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lots of money : Re: Lots of money Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:13:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lots of money
From: scott
Date: 22 Jun 2009 06:55:04
Message: <4a3f6308$1@news.povray.org>
> At one extreme, you say "do whatever the hell you want", and not much
> happens.

Anyone with half a brain would realise that "do whatever the hell you want"
actually meant "do whatever you want to ensure our IT system is as good as
possible" (assuming your job was as IT guy or whatever).  If really nothing
got done then you would be fired.  A decent employee would maybe start by
questioning other staff (both senior and junior) about the existing IT
system, checking out the current equipment, planning any improvements they
thought necessary, etc.  You have to realise that a lot of jobs (and
managers) do not expect to have to tell you in detail what to do, you should
be able to just get on with it, and that is seen as a good quality
everywhere I've worked.

For example, shortly after I started working my manager told me he wanted me
to make a system to measure the amount of optical distortion caused by
pressing on a LCD screen, so we could compare different technology
accurately and not just judge it "by eye".  That's all he told me.  Of
course once I'd figured out what I thought was the best way to do it I ran
it past him and got approval to purchase some equipment, but he didn't tell
me exactly what to do, that's not his job, that's my job.