POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : UK mains voltage : Re: UK mains voltage Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:28:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UK mains voltage
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Jun 2009 05:11:56
Message: <4a3f4adc$1@news.povray.org>
>> As far as I'm aware, resistors affect only current, not potential.
>
> That statement doesn't even make sense.

As the resistence of a circuit increases, the current flowing through it
decreases. But that doesn't affect the actual potential across the circuit.

Or rather, that's what the books I've read claim, anyway...

> By the way, notice how the lights dim on your car (and maybe your radio
> also shuts off?) when you start the engine?

Yeah. That's because there's a limit to how much current the battery can
supply.

Indeed, I'm told the only reason cars use lead acid batteries (which are
very heavy yet don't actually hold that much charge) is so that they can
briefly deliver the astronomical current required to turn the starter
motor. From the sources I've read, if it weren't for that, you'd only
need a battery a fraction of the size to run the spark plugs, headlights
and other electrical bits.