POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XML rant : Re: XML rant Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:25:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XML rant
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Jun 2009 13:41:16
Message: <4a3e70bc@news.povray.org>
Tim Attwood wrote:
>> Unsurprisingly, he says it much more eloquently than I ever managed.
>> Until he starts relating people who use XML to people who voted for
>> Bush, at least. :-) The first half is good, at least. :-)
>>
>> http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/xml/s-exp_vs_XML
>
> Wow, that guy is an idiot. S-exps are uglier than XML,

I didn't think S-exps was what he was after, other than in the name of the
URL. He makes a good point that
<integer>0</integer>
is a dumb-ass way of encoding data. :-)

The parts I thought are good are
1) Don't use XML if you're not doing markup, i.e., if you don't have orders
of magnitude more cdata than tag text
2) If you're going to define something that uses unicode, get rid of the
crap that lets you also define escape sequences, because nobody is going to
ever get that right anyway or want to use it.

The number of times I've seen XML misused and *therefore* broken in just
this way is legion.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western