POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Nice data structure : Re: Nice data structure Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:26:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nice data structure
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Jun 2009 13:38:08
Message: <4a3e7000$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I'd say it's the exact opposite: When you start having more than 2^16
> nodes, that's when you need to star worrying about the amount of space the
> data structure is taking. With less than 2^16 nodes the size of an individual
> node is rather irrelevant.

My thought was that if you have that much data, you're probably running on a
machine where the memory limits aren't very tight (i.e., a desktop system,
say).  Of course, the killer is the ratio of the number of nodes to the
amount of memory, so sure, when you start getting up in the 2^25 number of
nodes range the size of the nodes is going to be prohibitive on a 32-bit
machine again.

The nice thing is the tree doesn't need rotations, so you can clip off a
large sub-tree of the tree and put it in its own address space. That's hard
to do if you have to balance nodes and stuff.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western