POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Major fails : Re: Major fails Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:27:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Major fails
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Jun 2009 14:56:21
Message: <4a3d30d5@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   It sounds a bit like the typical scare tactics: "Either you pay us $5000,

I've also read that it was several hundred files, 24 of which they actually
presented in detail enough to prove. Granted, the jury shouldn't be
considering the files they didn't prove. And, I dunno, I don't think $5000
is that large a sum for intentionally and repeatedly breaking the law. It's
a lot more than the files cost, but on the other hand, if you get caught
shoplifting $20 of stuff and go to jail 90 days, it's also a lot longer than
it would take you to earn $20.

None of it's good, and the copyright laws really need to be rewritten, but I
can't really fault the RIAA on this *particular* case, if they're willing to
settle for $5K and they have enough proof to win repeatedly in court.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western