POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lots of money : Re: Lots of money Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:12:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lots of money
From: scott
Date: 19 Jun 2009 07:48:14
Message: <4a3b7afe$1@news.povray.org>
> It seems to me that IT job titles vary rather greatly from company to
> company. One company's "programmer" is another company's "business
> analyst".

Yeh that too, which makes it even harder to compare your salary with surveys
like this.

> Which is worrying, because those are rather different roles, having wildly
> different responsibilities...

I think the job roles do actually vary quite significantly.  In Engineering
at least, one company's "Engineer" can be sat there all day at his desk
making drawings of product designs, while at another company an "Engineer"
would be running the project, organising testing and tooling schedules,
working with customers and suppliers, and doing drawings as a minor task.  I
suspect it's the same for software, the breadth of the role of "programmer"
probably varies hugely from company to company, most likely depending on the
size of the company.

> I'm not quite sure how you get from "I can't get a better job" to "I don't
> want a better job"...

Well if you are only looking for jobs involving Haskell programming within 5
miles of your mum's house you're not going to find much :-)