POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Major fails : Major fails Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:25:03 EDT (-0400)
  Major fails
From: somebody
Date: 19 Jun 2009 04:00:32
Message: <4a3b45a0$1@news.povray.org>
Well, I don't know if this was intentional (to incite anti RIAA emotions) on
the author's part, and it may likely be corrected when you read this, but it
seems a major screw-up by CNN claiming it was about downloading in Jammie
Thomas-Rasset case:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/18/minnesota.music.download.fine/index.html

But of course the major failure in such a case is with her, her lawyers and
advisors. It seems they did everything wrong, from ignoring the initial
cease-and-desist order to letting it go to court and continually making up
easily countered lies. A better summary of the story is here:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/06/jammie-thomas-retrial-verdic
t.ars

Now, even though I think the fine is excessive, and I'm sure it will be
appealed, I don't think RIAA did anything wrong. What were they supposed to
do, once it got to that stage, not present a good case in hopes of losing
it?