POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Crazy ideas for Monday morning : Re: Crazy ideas for Monday morning Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:25:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crazy ideas for Monday morning
From: Invisible
Date: 15 Jun 2009 04:34:26
Message: <4a360792$1@news.povray.org>
>> Heh. Almost makes it sound like I could just sit here, write some crap
>> about crap, give it to a publisher and make a stack of money. :-D
>>
>> I rather doubt it's quite that easy though... ;-)
>
> Have you read some of the crap that gets published?  The trick is to be
> able to just toss the rejection letters out and move on to the next
> publisher until you find one that is willing to publish the crap.  :-)

Heh. When I was at uni, we discovered that our Java lecturer had
published a Java book. It was on Amazon, and not one reviewer had
anything good to say about it. ;-) Apparently it was riddled with
spelling and gramatical errors, sentences that didn't make sense,
factual inaccuracies, and example programs that either didn't compile or
didn't work properly. (You could arguably blame some of that on the
rapidly changing Java APIs...)

>> Like I said, I'm looking at Oxford. I'd prefer not to move to Bristol or
>> Leeds, but Oxford would probably be OK.
>
> Oh, were you thinking of moving if you got the job in Oxford?  If so,
> that's a great step forward. :-)  But I'm talking about broadening your
> search to find something that leverages your skills regardless of
> location.

Yeah, but, finding a job in a reasonable location is a higher priority
than finding a job that's a "perfect" match for my skills. I mean, what
does it matter how good the job is if I have to live in Leeds to get it?
I might as well stay where I am.