POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : False "minimum system requirements" in modern games : Re: False "minimum system requirements" in modern games Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:14:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: False "minimum system requirements" in modern games
From: scott
Date: 15 Jun 2009 03:54:58
Message: <4a35fe52@news.povray.org>
>> and, well, some people would find it completely unnaceptable by today's
>> standards to play a FPS in 20 FPS (pun intended).  The spoiled brats say
>> it's impossible to hit enemies with a stuttering frame rate.  Me?  I've
>> blasted my way both on the original SNES Star Fox in its glorious 15 FPS
>> as well as in Goldeneye on N64 at 20 FPS, I'm ok with that...

I don't play FPS games much, but the ones I have played I find much easier
with *minimum* frame rates of 30+.  There's no point in having a nice smooth
60 FPS as you walk around, only for it to drop to 15 when 5 enemies start
shooting at you.

I play racing sims most of the time, and there I think having a high frame
rate (like 30+) is even more important, as accurately controlling your
vehicle based on the visual feedback is the main part of the "game".  Again,
having a nice smooth 60 FPS as you drive around is useless if it drops to 15
when a few other cars get very close to you.

> I don't call myself spoiled, but anything under 45 gives me a severe
> headache, and even 60 gives me a light one after about an hour.

My LCD only redraws at 60 FPS so I don't think I would notice anything
higher.  My old CRT used to go up to 120 Hz (at a low resolution) and if you
ran a game or animation at 120 Hz it really did look smoother than 60 Hz.

> Although, that's only for games.  For some reason, movies & TV don't have
> the same effect on me.

Movies and TV generally have motion blur in each frame, so it's not so
"stuttery" as a game at low frame rate.