POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Passion of the Christ : Re: Passion of the Christ Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:14:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Passion of the Christ
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Jun 2009 00:05:35
Message: <4a35c88f@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 18:16:18 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> See, I don't think that is at all relevant.
>>
>> I could see why you think that, but I disagree.  Even bad people can do
>> good things, and given a choice between supporting a program that feeds
>> starving people that is sponsored by someone who is bad and having
>> those people starve to death, I'd rather they got fed.  But before
>> supporting a program run by "the bad guys", I'd first look for
>> alternatives that didn't have that baggage.
>>
> All I can say to this is.. If it was the **only** group doing it, I
> might provisionally agree with you. Yet, it usually isn't, and if
> anything, its the ones with an alternate agenda that promote themselves
> so much its not always "obvious" that an alternative even exists.

Sure, that happens.  So education is the solution - I wasn't aware of the
example you provided, but now you've given me something to look into.

> Its like the old days with the church, in Europe. Take in the equivalent
> of millions, if not billions, build a lot of temples, but.. when
> feeding, clothing or "helping" the poor or hungry, buy the cheapest
> cloth, the poorest food, etc. Feed them what the clergy wouldn't touch,
> and the not "quite" so poor wouldn't feed their pigs.

Well, Europe grew out of it.  I suspect we will, too.  It may not happen
in our lifetimes, but change like that sometimes takes generations to
happen.  Changing the thinking of extremely large groups of people isn't
a trivial task.

> We can thank "secular" systems for making it so that the modern
> equivalent to this is almost a feast by those days standards, but it
> doesn't change the actual "intent", or "thinking" of those in charge,
> one bit. Just makes it harder to call them on it.

Well, nobody said it would be easy.

Jim