POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Passion of the Christ : Re: Passion of the Christ Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Passion of the Christ
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 14 Jun 2009 20:51:11
Message: <4a359aff@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Shifting my frame of reference to the time when slavery was a common
> thing in the US, I don't know that either of us *in that frame of
> reference* (ie, with the knowledge that existed then) would necessarily
> have been exposed to the idea that those minorities who were slaves
> weren't somehow inferior.  (Ugh, it's distasteful to even express that
> idea).  In a different time, who's to say how you or I would react?  It's
> easy to look back and say "that was wrong" because we have the benefit of
> our current knowledge and experience, but if we'd been alive at the time,
> our life experiences would've been very different, and that would've
> shaped our perceptions.  Remember that there *were* people who felt they
> could *prove* that slaves were inferior.  Even very intelligent people -
> like those who put together the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of
> Rights, etc.  "All men are created equal" didn't apply to "all men" (and
> certainly didn't apply to women).

And.. A logical examination of the "evidence", even then, would have
shown that the there wasn't any "factual" evidence to be had at all in
the argument. Back then you could point out lack of education, lack of
equal treatment, and a whole host of other things that made someone
"appear" inferior, and show examples that derailed the argument.
Today... Sigh.. Lets just say that you can't go around claiming that you
are "equal" in all ways, then isolate yourself from the rest of the
nation, hold onto ideas that undermine the assertion, deny your own
mistakes, and blame them on others, then stare in blinkered amazement at
all the people saying, "Grandpappy was right, them <insert minority>
really are inferior!"

If you ignore the historical reason why some communities are they way
they are.. there is more "evidence" today of the possible inequality of
some people, than there ever was back when it was simply "assumed".

Feeling you can prove something is **not** the same as having solid fact
to support it. I don't give a frack what someone "feels" they can prove.
They invariably trot out a lot of things they "imagine" no one has
responded to before, make a lot of assertions about evidence they can
never actually provide, then eventually just admit, if honest, that they
only "feel" that its right, and "imagine" that someone, someplace else,
has better evidence of the view.

Its like the argument some theists make about how Dawkins et-al only
attack simplistic versions of religion, but there is some "great" and
"solid" one out there, which gets ignored all the time. Then you see an
article interviewing the "greatest minds in theology", and... all the
fracking "deep" arguments are the same ones that people get told they
should be ignoring, in favor of the "deeper" arguments. The only thing
"deep" in any of it is the depth of the hole they must be standing in,
while imagining that the guy in the next hole has a "better" argument.
Its.. positively absurd.

>> So, sure.. Understanding how to motivate someone is one thing. But..
>> Some things either work or don't, and if you can motivate someone out of
>> doing them right, there are 50 other people, far better equipped, to
>> motivate them to do it wrong, or not at all.
>
> Sometimes life ain't fair.  I don't like that, but that's a fact proven
> again and again.

These are people that stuff 10 aces up their sleeve, then get cheered
when they claim to win, while you are booed, for pointing out that *no*
poker hand has 6 aces in it. Its not that life isn't fair, its that one
side has no honor, morals, or compunction against cheating, but
everyone, due to indoctrination from childhood, and being told that
"some people" are above suspicion or skepticism, believed *them* when
they say they are the ones with hight moral standards, and the guy
calling them on it hasn't any. Fair and unfair imply "the possibility"
of fairness. But, when you know you will lose in that circumstance, and
you have no honor, you make sure that the dude you want to lose has no
armor, a blunt stick, once hand tied behind their back, and that, when
it comes time for the fight, its an 600 pound, hungry lion, not a 3 inch
field mouse, they find themselves confronted by. Oh, and.. You glue
mouse ears on, and shave, the lion, and take blurry photos, so you can
still claim it was "seasoned warrior vs. field mouse" to the newspapers
when the guy is bleeding on the ground at the end.

Fair? I would settle for just honestly "unfair".

> I could see that.  It's a very similar reaction that those who feel the
> foundation of their life is under attack from someone who doesn't
> understand it.  That's the sort of thing I mean when I say "put yourself
> in their shoes" - you've been there, done that, and reacted badly to it.
> It shouldn't be so difficult to understand why others react that way when
> they feel the basis of their life is under attack. :-)

But, that's just it. If someone is attacking the foundation of your
life, ask why, don't just get pissed about it. At the very least, *you*
may be seriously wrong about what the foundation is. And, frankly..
anyone that thinks their "faith" is the foundation, not their family,
life experiences, loved ones, and friends, are doing "massive"
disservice to everything that actually "means" anything. Anyone claiming
that their faith means "more" than that.. well, I haven't seen too many
who think that way, when being honest about it, and the few that do,
have no friends, rejected their families, and are usually seriously
unhinged, if not dangerous.

>> Watched some clips today of various comics, and the strongly religious
>> one was precisely like that. His absolute 100% position was, "I believe,
>> I know I am right, so therefor 'everything' I say about non-believers or
>> sinner **has to be funny**.
>
> Consider:  Perhaps he was being satirical.

Ok.. I rewatched it and.. He isn't as blindingly boring as Ben Stein,
and he "is" trying to be, vaguely, satirical. Mostly.. He starts off
with "atheists believe in nothing, and need a lot of faith for that",
and then starts wandering every damn logical fallacy, blind assertion
and over repeated bit if BS ever invented, *including* a variation of
the "tornado in a junk yard" nonsense. I am surprised he didn't go, "And
then there is god's perfect food, the banana."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmrevhzVcD8&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.asylum.co.uk%2F2009%2F05%2F29%2Fatheists-or-believers-whos-funnier&feature=player_embedded

I mean... I don't even know where to start counting the flat out "wrong"
things. Its like if someone gave the biggest right wing creationist
websites on the internet a mouth piece, and assumed that if "he" smiled
and laughed at his own jokes, it was "actually" funny. Mostly, its just
an endless diatribe about what he "imagines" is wrong with atheists.
See.. Comedy is supposed to point out things people "do" believe, and
why its absurd, not make shit up about what you "imagine" they believe,
then make long whiny speeches about how wrong it is.

If this guy was on a forum, instead of a stage, no one would be
laughing. Why? Because the only "joke" he makes is in the first few
moments, when he goes, "Oh, I never had one of them in my house
before!". The rest.. Is just diatribe. There is no, "And then they
brought up this argument, so I shot it down.", or, "He/she said X, and I
had a come back." a 4 minute speech about all the BS you "imagine" is
wrong with something is "not" a comedy routine, its a sermon.

> One of the things that alternate ideas do is force us to reexamine what
> we believe in.  The debate about Intelligent Design vs. Evolution, for
> example - what that has done is galvanized a large part of the scientific
> community that deals with evolutionary science, and it seems that we are
> discovering more things that demonstrate evolution in practical terms.
> If we didn't have Creationists challenging the very idea of Evolution,
> it's likely we wouldn't have had the advances.

Bullocks. We where making progress even without them. The only thing the
recent ID movement has done is generate a "few" cases where people dug
around in papers that where ***already*** published, 4-5 years before,
but which the creationists didn't bother to look for, which already
showed why they where wrong. Well, in one minor case they "may" have
taken a slightly closer look at one thing they claimed to be
"irreducible", but, the reality is, everything they have said was
"already" refuted, multiple times, by things published years before ID,
the Disco Institute, or Dover, where ever even on the radar.

This is how ID works:

1. See something that looks designed.
2. Google a few papers for key words that might "imply" design.
3. Ignore 500 other papers, and decades of research in "real" sources,
like Pubmed (or claim you looked there, but didn't find anything...)
4. Assert that evolutionists haven't looked at it.
5. Stare incomprehensibly at the 500 papers, 3 books and 2,000 research
programs "already in existence" which address the imaginary problem already.

> The lack of a challenge
> often leads to complacency and lazy thinking.  But having to structure a
> debate, even against something that you and I think is patently
> ridiculous, helps science.

No, it just wastes time and money. The only thing that ID has done is
emphasize, at least to scientists, that science education in the US
isn't "bad", so much as, "terrifyingly bad", and there are people
actually trying to either replace it with something worse, or get rid of
it entirely, and most of the politicians are too fracking ignorant to
get why this is not a good thing. So.. Yeah, I am sure that figuring out
that the Titanic is sinking "after" your ankles are already wet is
"useful" in some vague sense. Otherwise.. they haven't done jack, since
100% of their arguments have been "entirely" on "old" definitions, "bad"
statistical math, "incorrect" assumptions about the state, direction and
progress of the science, and a "completely" wrong assertion that
quibbles over "details" about how much, and when certain "kinds" of
evolution happen, is a sign that science can't decide on "how" it
happens in general. I.e., not knowing how much of the water on your lawn
is wet from the sprinklers or recent rain means you are wrong about both
how rain *and* sprinklers work, and you need to invent "intelligent
wetting" to replace them. How does that help "shake up" the scientific
community?

>> Ah, but.. There is a rising tide of people in the US that not only fall
>> for everything said, starting at the "blogged about it" stage, and
>> presents "everyone" prior to that, including news agencies that don't
>> present "both sides", or actively promote the "big
>> science/pharma/government/whatever" side of things, as being "part of a
>> vast conspiracy to hide the truth.
>
> So what's the alternative?  And to add a constraint, an alternative that
> doesn't limit the rights of those who push a particular point of view?

All you can do is point out why the conspiracy theorists are wrong, and
sometimes that "means" saying things that some of their supporters, like
it or not, are going to see as "attacks". Its impossible to avoid those
heavily invested in fallacies making such claims. Just because they do,
and are deeply offended by such imagined "attacks", we should just stop
doing anything that bugs them? Again, you can't do that. Its seen by
such people, and those that generally support them, as backing down for
lack of conviction, or facts, not as, "refusing to engage the wacko."

>> or.. if you are lucky, someone wondering, "Could I
>> be wrong." Another "trend" in recent years seems to be the insane, and
>> often ***specifically worded*** this way, idea that, "One should have a
>> right to not be offended." Bullshit!
>
> I agree with this.  However that also means that you and I don't have a
> right to be offended by religion.  That's a two-way street.

Uh.. No, thought I was clear. We have no right to "not be offended", and
by extension, we can be offended by anything we want too. Its like free
speech. Just because I have to let someone talk doesn't mean I have to
"like" them talking, or do nothing at all to try to stop people
listening too it. If I did, then I wouldn't be exercising "my" rights.
Sure its a "two way street". That is why respect has to be earned, not
handed to every half wit that shows up with some sort of opinion. They
can hold it all they want. They want me to respect it... well, accepting
that they hold it isn't the "same" as respecting it. Yet, truth be told,
most of the people we have been talking about a) assume respect must
come automatically to "their" ideas, especially if religious, and this
is practically written in the same law that ironically is "supposed" to
limit its influence of the people that are not *supposed* to be giving
it undue respect, and b) no one else's deserves the same treatment.

Well.. Sorry, but (b) pretty much automatically denies (a), in my mind,
even if it wasn't based, almost exclusively, on the ignorance of the
other sides actual positions, failure to understand the evidence, and/or
random assertions that where pulled out of their imaginations, instead
of based on anything in the real world.

>> That said. Not stopping long enough to find out what I *am* arguing
>> against, but just concluding that it is a personal attack, is, imho, at
>> least as good a reason for calling someone an irrational fool as
>> "actually" belonging to, or supporting, what ever it is I *am* arguing
>> about.
>
> It's about presentation, Patrick.  If your goal is to persuade someone
> that they're being what you consider an "irrational fool", using
> inflammatory language to get the point across will cause them to raise
> their shields (that's human nature) and to fight back.

Yeah, yeah. Framing. As in, framing the argument to the point where you
find yourself painted in to a corner, because you where unwilling to be
a bit less than "nice. But, seriously, its beside the point. I am not so
stupid I don't know to adjust my approach when I am dealing with someone
that "is" able to change opinion, and not addressing the "audience"
through ridicule of the object my comments are directed at. The argument
amount to, "Well, someone might be listening, who would change their
mind if you where nicer." But, the truth is, most of them won't change
their minds because they have "never" found themselves in a situation
where someone wouldn't back down from their supposed spiritual leader,
or continued to challenge them. People don't give up, or question,
religion, or even its assertions, because other people "play nice" and
try to avoid offending. They do so because other people "do" have
drastically different opinions, which they will defend as aggressively,
and "some of them" wonder how anyone could be so "sure", and go looking,
then find out that, in the case of creationism, they have been lied to
since the first day someone sat them in a pew.

Look, I guess my point is that the same tactic that works on one person
doesn't work on another, and being directly, and unapologetically,
challenged, instead of someone dancing around the issues, "will" show
some people that there are those strongly willing to defend something,
not just a lot of people trying really hard to mix two incompatible
things together. Some of them are going to ask, "Ok, how can they be so
sure." You need both tigers "and" kittens in your tool box, because the
other side isn't going to just go, "Oh, well, since they are using
kittens, we should stick with those too."

>> Hmm. Ok, then how is this, "Its not the one its directed at that is at
>> issue, since they are unlikely to change, its those watching, who see
>> that the only response they can give is incoherent, or non-existent."
>
> Those watching are likely to see someone "on the attack", and that gives
> the "recipient" of the ridicule the ability to draw sympathy from those
> on the sidelines.  If you want to affect those watching from the
> sidelines, you have to not make the target of your discussion into a
> victim.  What's more, if the "attack" is seen to be unprovoked, you're
> more than likely going to drive those on the sidelines (and on the fence)
> to *help* the "victim".

They claim "victim" regardless of how nice you are. They claim fracking
victim even when 90% of the listeners are "convinced" they won the
argument. Are we even talking about the same thing? I am not talking
about just showing up an calling someone names. I am talking about
showing why they "deserve" some of the names. If people can't see the
reasons, they are not going to change their opinion just because I, or
anyone else, said it in a "nice way". On the contrary, in most of the
situations I have ever seen, "they" are the ones name calling, claiming
other people think certain things, misquoting them, and committing both
slander and libel, *then* getting offended when someone fights back. If
I was talking about just walking into a room with one and blurting out,
"you're an idiot", you would have a point. I am not.

These people could make it look like the fracking talking maple syrup
bottle, Ms. Butterworth, was trying to leap at them with a knife, and
the press would fall for it, even *with* the discussion on fracking
tape. Just look at what they do with Dawkins. The guy is nice, polite,
non-aggressive, he will state, "I think religion is made up", in a tone
that would make you imagine that he was discussing the time on his
watch. Look at what "just saying that" gets you. The wackos practically
insist he showed up dressed as a ninja and tried to rip their throats
out with his teeth. This isn't someone taking "horrible" offense at the
suggestion that someone might not believe in god, the way they do, this
is someone "intentionally" making it sound like they where attacked by a
commando raid and held at gun point.

If you can't even be mild and "nice" and avoid being called a monster...

>> Part of the point of
>> making them look even more foolish is to show fence sitters that the
>> issue isn't your "unwillingness" to face them, but that you can't stop
>> laughing while doing so. ;)
>
> At some point, it's not a question of "unwillingness", but a question of
> "is it even worth my time?".  If you or I spent all of our time trying to
> convince people all the things we think are ridiculous are ridiculous,
> we'd have scarce time to ourselves.

Sigh.. Again, we tried that for "decades". If its worth "their" time to
make multi-billion dollar organizations "dedicated" to telling people
how unwilling "we" are to address their imaginary points.. Somehow I
tend to suspect you better **find** time to deal with it. Just because
something is ridiculous doesn't mean it won't become the "norm", if no
one does anything to point out how ridiculous it actually is,
**especially** the people whose jobs are directly effected by whether or
not some twit gets themselves elected to office some place, then votes
the next week to ban vaccines in the state, along with some other
supporters who, "don't know the facts, but heard about that poor woman",
or some BS, based on such "ridiculous" crap.

You can't ignore or lose every "public" battle, other than the ones in
court, and expect to win the fracking war on the idea. All it takes is
enough fools to make the truth "illegal". Just look at the insane
bullshit that goes on in the so called "war on drugs". Which is more
about propaganda than actually "stopping it", which would require.. most
of the money wasted going to preventions, recovery and research on how
and why they work, and not on busting 5,000 pounds of relatively
harmless weed, even while a ton of something worse enters some place
else, and 50 new crack houses open up.

>> Some of them though.. Like the Catholic League, thankfully just "lie"
>> about how many they have. Someone worked out that, based on their public
>> records, and the dues needed to "be a member", either each one "claimed"
>> only actually put in about 30 cents, or the numbers where "exaggerated",
>> by like.. 10,000 times the actual number, and there where less than a
>> few hundred "actual" people in the entire organization.
>
> I think part of the problem is that the tax law is too convoluted; it
> allows people to work around disclosing what their actual assets are.
> The LDS Church (again as a convenient example) is a huge business with
> large business holdings.  Beneficial Life, for example - a major
> insurance company in the US - is (or was, this could have changed, I
> suppose) owned by the church.  What do you suppose the tax advantages are
> for having an insurance company that's owned by a religious organization?

No kidding..

>> Right.. Because no one can come along and just declare, by fiat that
>> Stem cells are useless, or, like in India, we should be using Vedic math
>> and science, including alchemy, instead of "western" ideas...
>
> There are short periods of idiocy in policy, again, that's one of the
> things that happens in a free society.

Would be a nice argument if not for the "minor" flaw that "some" such
idiocies lead to increasingly "less" free societies.

>> This principle is only true if science is "allowed" to seek the correct
>> answers.
>
> Taking a "devil's advocate" position, at what cost do those answers
> come?  Do we decide a class of people we can reasonably agree on as
> people (ie, let's leave the debate about embryonic stem cells out here)
> need to die in order to continue the research?  Let's say all people with
> red hair are determined to have the right genetic makeup to advanced stem
> cell research, but the research can only be achieved by extracting
> something that they need in order to live, thus causing their death.

If we where talking about anything to extreme, you would have a point.
We are talking about people claiming a threat to a way of life that
***isn't even*** the one they claim they based it on in the first place,
with entirely imaginary consequences, if they fail to defend it, at the
expense of halting, reversing, or at least, in the US, slowing to a
crawl, most of science (and no, evolution is, by their own admission,
just what they "thought" was the weakest link in the chain). A better
argument would be, "Would it have been a good idea to jail the nut that
caused the thugi people to self exterminate, by abandoning all their
food, walking into the wastes, and starving to death, *before* it
happened, or is there some 'right' gained by it being religious, that
said that Britain should have just sat back and watched, even if they
had even, at the time, been aware of it happening, or their
representatives willing to do anything?"

I am sure that, should enough creationists ever get into power and start
banning things in science they don't like, it won't be the end of the
world, but.. what country is going to accept the millions of refugees
that leave in disgust over it, or in the years that follow, as they
institute more and more religious laws, take away more freedoms, and
make the country more an more like.. well, Afghanistan or Iran? lol

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {