POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Passion of the Christ : Re: Passion of the Christ Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:24:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Passion of the Christ
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 14 Jun 2009 00:39:46
Message: <4a347f12$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Sometimes it's not a question of supporting (directly or indirectly) the
> bad part, but supporting the good part.

See, I don't think that is at all relevant. Even dictators, kings,
communist countries, and numerous others had "good ideas", or did, "good
works". On the sum of things, if the good works promote something that,
on the whole, propagate, upholds, or defends, the bad ones.. well, the
net result is **not** good, no matter how many people you "helped" in
the short term. It just gets worse when people look only to their own
children's future, which isn't going to be "much" worse than their own,
even if they are supporting dark things indirectly, because a) they
imagine people will fight it before it comes to that (only.. If they are
not fighting, who do they imagine "is"?), or b) they don't think it will
get that bad.

Heck, we had 8 years of a total fracking loon running things, and no one
in Reagan's time would have imagined that electing one overly religious
person "might" a few decades later lead to an even more religious one,
who was a total fracking moron. People with "good works" in their mind
often fail to see clearly what the worst case could be, for indirectly
supporting the bad parts too.

And.. When you get those that "only" see as far as their own "personal"
connection to god, afterlife, and salvation... What are those people
looking at, making the world "really" better? Or, how many only do what
they "think" is in their means, helping the few they can, and let
everything else to run its course? Too many for my tastes. And, that
isn't even when the belief in "religion's" influence on the world isn't
so deeply buried in the culture, like it is in many black communities,
that its virtually impossible to even "claim" that a church could be
doing harm.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {