POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Real Americans V. The Plague : Re: Real Americans V. The Plague Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:16:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real Americans V. The Plague
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Jun 2009 19:02:11
Message: <4a342ff3@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 21:27:13 +0100, Stephen wrote:

>>> If only I had the time :(
>>
>>I hear ya there.  We've got new exam going into beta that's consuming
>>all my time right now (along with a system redesign for part of the exam
>>delivery system).  Will have to work over the weekend on some of it.
>
> Well, we have reached the stage in the implementation where someone has
> got to say; Do you want the work done on time or do you wand it to work?

LOL, I was there about a month ago with a platform migration project. :-)

> I'm writing Functional Specs and keep falling over gaps in the
> processes. And now the head office in Atlanta has just told the head
> developer that due to reorganisation, he can keep his green card but
> there is no longer a job for him. So I can't see my contract being
> extended in 6 weeks time.

Egads.  We've got something like that going on with our IS&T department;
we announced a major partnership with an IT outsourcing company (called
ACS) to train them on our products so they could help us get them in more
large shops.  Part of the deal is the outsourcing of our entire IS&T
department to them.

Most of the employees in IS&T (all that I've heard of/from, in fact) are
happy about this change - they are being absorbed into ACS, so instead of
being one of about 200 IT workers, they'll be one of about 30,000.  Which
means more chance for advancement.

But it also means that those of us in the business may see some shifting
around.  I've had to ask my technical team (who report to a people
manager rather than a program manager - i.e. not to me) to put a
contingency in place in case our IS&T resource gets shifted to another
project.  I'm hoping he won't, but if he does his replacement needs to
hit the ground running so the project isn't delayed any more than it
already is.

Jim