POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : False "minimum system requirements" in modern games : Re: False "minimum system requirements" in modern games Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: False "minimum system requirements" in modern games
From: nemesis
Date: 12 Jun 2009 16:15:06
Message: <4a32b74a$1@news.povray.org>
Warp escreveu:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>>   For example, I recently bought the game "The Last Remnant"
> [...]
>> I have even maxed up all graphical settings and I'm getting pretty good
>> framerates (something like 20 FPS and up). Of course this is mostly thanks
>> to my GPU, but at least the CPU isn't getting badly in the way.
>
>   Speaking of which, it's rather impressive what kind of graphics modern
> 3D cards can produce. For example this game uses quite effectively a
> combination of focal blur, luminous blooms and (I assume) HDRI for
> rendering really impressive images... in real-time.
>
>   The focal blur is not used only for shows, but actually for composition
> purposes. For example there's a cut-scene (rendered in real-time with the
> game engine) which has some objects on the foreground and some people in
> the background. The focus was on the people while the objects were blurred.
> Then the people started talking about the objects and turned to look at
> them, and the focus gradually shifted to the objects, leaving the people
> blurred. Really cool-looking.

heh, focal blur was available even for PS2.  Resident Evil 4 has a
sniper and binoculars both featuring focal blur.  Metal Gear Solid 2 and
3 used it a bit in the in-game engine cinematics as well as many other
games to impressive effects.  The system screen itself is loaded with
focal blur effects.

Heck, even some of the last and great PSOne games, like Vagrant Story,
faked some focal blur of sorts by rendering a few extra polygons for
foreground objects in a rapid flickering fashion...

Have you played Mirror's Edge yet?  Now that is more impressive, with
it's fake but vivid real time global illumination with color bleeding...

and, well, some people would find it completely unnaceptable by today's
standards to play a FPS in 20 FPS (pun intended).  The spoiled brats say
it's impossible to hit enemies with a stuttering frame rate.  Me?  I've
blasted my way both on the original SNES Star Fox in its glorious 15 FPS
as well as in Goldeneye on N64 at 20 FPS, I'm ok with that...

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9