POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Crazy ideas for Monday morning : Re: Crazy ideas for Monday morning Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:17:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crazy ideas for Monday morning
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Jun 2009 13:20:01
Message: <4a328e41$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 09:22:06 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> On the other hand, anybody with a real education would already know
>>> how to do algebra and solve equations. It's only me who's had to guess
>>> that stuff from what I can scrounge off the Internet and invent off
>>> the top of my head.
>>
>> In other words, you overcame circumstances rather than giving up.
>> That's more than most people will do.  You did real research instead of
>> having it handed to you in a classroom.
>
> On the other hand, somebody taught in a classroom would have a complete
> coverage of the subject, not just bits and pieces of it.

With advanced topics, it's rare that a classroom experience will give you
truly complete coverage of the subject.  Remember that the line of work
I'm in is technical training?  A 5-day class (or 15 days or 20 days) of
training on using Linux won't begin to scratch the surface of the full
capabilities of the system.  People learn in different ways - some people
benefit from classroom training/learning experiences, and some people do
much better with self-study.

You seem to do very well with self-study.  That's not a bad thing, and
many employers prefer people who say that they are self-motivated to
learn new things.  Often times they'll prefer that over scads of formal
education, contrary to what the job posting says the minimum requirements
are.

>> You can get one, and you are good enough.  Those that turn you down
>> aren't good enough for you because they're not willing to look at what
>> your capabilities are.
>
> I worry though - on paper, I don't sound very impressive at all. Will I
> ever get past the initial deselection?

You don't sound impressive to you because you're you.  Don't guess at
what other people are or aren't impressed by, and trust those of us who
say that you are impressive.

> It's a web form. Any 6 year old with a web browser can submit an
> application. They must be getting several hundred million *per hour*.

Doubtful that they're getting that many per hour.

> Obviously they will have been prepared for this, and will have an
> automated system of some kind to filter out the garbage. I just hope
> they don't filter *me* out!

Well, we'll see - if they do for some reason, then it's on to the next
opportunity.  And the next.

>> Give it a couple of days, and if you don't hear anything, write back.
>
> Don't have a way to do that.

Or call them.  I'm sure their office is listed in the phone book or the
number is available on the website.  Be creative in finding a way to
contact them, especially a company like Wolfram would likely be impressed
by the application of some problems solving techniques to ensure that
they got the application.

Hell, it may even be part of why they didn't send an automated
response. :-)

>>> Also not amusing: Sending my details over an unencrypted link? What,
>>> you couldn't afford HTTPS??
>>
>> After you get a job there, this would be something to ask about.
>
> Heh, yeah...

Wouldn't be the first time it's been done.  I've done it myself after
accepting a job (internal transfer or new employer).  Sometimes an
outside perspective illuminates something that people working inside a
company never even thought about.

Jim