POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Crazy ideas for Monday morning : Re: Crazy ideas for Monday morning Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crazy ideas for Monday morning
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 11 Jun 2009 17:34:55
Message: <4a31787f$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/11/09 10:32, Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> On the other hand, somebody taught in a classroom would have a
>> complete coverage of the subject, not just bits and pieces of it.

	Missed this the first time round.

	Trust me - college courses are _never_ comprehensive. They'll teach the
basics, and go into one or two aspects in detail. Really good
courses/universities will make students do nasty projects that will
force them to learn things comprehensively, but that's rare.

	There just isn't time in the classroom.

	For some areas, someone may know it really well because he took 3
courses which utilized it.

> Someone did an analysis a few years ago of "unix gurus", to figure out
> how they'd become gurus. The only commonality found was that they'd all
> learned where to efficiently look for the answers.

	++

	I never met anyone who really knew his stuff AND boasted about not
reading manuals. Conversely, all the people I met who boast such a thing
never became experts in much.

--
I am reading a very interesting book about anti-gravity. I just can't
put it down.

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl