POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Crazy ideas for Monday morning : Re: Crazy ideas for Monday morning Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crazy ideas for Monday morning
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Jun 2009 14:20:02
Message: <4a314ad2$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

>> - Built a recursive Turtle-style fractal plotter.
>
> I could do that.

Course you could. ;-)

>> - Built a Lambda calculus interpretter.
>
> I could probably do that really inefficiently, if I first sat down and
> learned Lambda calculus.

Um, dude... it's the Lambda calculus! Inefficiency is built-in. We're
talking about a programming language where the program to calculate 2+2
barely fits on one line. ;-)

>> - Built a mini-Mathematica engine.
>
> I could probably do that with a whole bunch of work and learning,
> depending on what you mean, as long as the actual mathematical notation
> didn't get in the way.

I mean it could take a simple mathematical expression and collect like
terms, fold constants, and a few simple things like that.

>> - Built a modular software sound synthesizer.
>
> I have no idea how to do that. I've never done anything with sound, and
> barely have used Fourier transforms on visual data.

See my other reply. It involved envelope generators, amplitude shaping,
mixing, variable-frequency oscilators [which produce a Fourier series],
and FM operators. Only the latter is remotely complicated; ask Wolfram
Alpha about "sin(x + pi sin(x))".

> (Did you see the virtual beat-box one in Haskell?
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qeks3mPvlGU )

No, but... hmm, this looks like the kind of crazy stuff a Haskeller
would do. (Pity none of this works on Windoze.)

>> - Built a collection of data compression modules.
>
> I could probably do that with good explanations of how the compression
> works. I probably couldn't invent any kind of useful compression
> algorithm. Assuming you mean lossless compression.

Yeah, I've yet to get any lossy algorithm to work. (If by "work" you
mean "produce something vaguely resembling the input".) I only did stuff
like RLE, LZW, Huffman, etc.

>> - Built a mini-Prolog interpretter.
>
> I barely remember how a prolog interpreter works, let alone how to code
> one. I think I did a unification engine back in college for a class
> assignment, tho.

Heh. This coming from the guy who was telling *me* how unification
works. :-P

> So there you go. Mandelbrot and Turtle fractals are about the only thing
> on your list I could do off the top of my head without sitting down for
> a day or more to learn what I need to know. I don't think there's
> anything on your list I *couldn't* do. You just wouldn't want to pay me
> to learn it first, given folks like you are looking for jobs. :-)

Hmm... interesting perspective.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/