POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Astromonical numbers : Re: Astromonical numbers Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Astromonical numbers
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Jun 2009 14:13:18
Message: <4a31493e@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

>>> You realize why this number is important, right? :-)
>>
>> What, Avagadro's number? (Or however the hell you spell it...)
>
> Yes. You know why anyone cares about Avagadro's number? I.e., what the
> basic thing it's measuring is?

Number of atoms? (Or sometimes ions, or subatomic particles of some
kind. Make sure you specify; it kinda makes a difference.)

>> Wait - you know what a group is, right?
>
> Vaguely. I'd have to look up the definition again to be sure I'm not
> confusing it with a ring or field or something. My higher-level alegbra
> is way old. :-)

There's a whole zoo of algebraic systems (I think that's the term) -
monoids, semigroups, groupoids, groups, rings, fields, etc. They're all
essentially the same "thing", just with differing numbers of properties
guaranteed.

Personally, I only bother with fields and groups. A group is closed,
associative, and possesses a unique identity element and an inverse
element for every member. An Abelien group or commutative group is...
self-explanatory, actually?

>>> 68-23=45 45-3=42. One power of ten missing.
>>
>> I fail.
>
> No, it just means that either measurements are very sloppy, that
> "typical" means something different in those sentences, or there's 10x
> times as much mass in a galaxy as their is mass in the H atoms of the
> galaxy. Which isn't completely impossible - see "giant black holes",
> "dark matter", "relativity", etc.

More likely I copied the number out wrong...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/