POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Astromonical numbers : Re: Astromonical numbers Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Astromonical numbers
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Jun 2009 13:13:41
Message: <4a313b45$1@news.povray.org>
>> 6.0 10^23 Number of atoms in 12 g of Carbon-12.
>
> You realize why this number is important, right? :-)

What, Avagadro's number? (Or however the hell you spell it...)

>> 8.1 10^53 Number of elements in The Monster Group.
>
> I haven't any idea what this is. :-)
>
> <google>  Oh, see, this is the sort of thing I'd have to spend a day
> chasing references around to even figure out what this means.

Apparently, there's a class of groups which can be completely classified
into something like 6 different kinds, except for a small handful of
unique groups that don't fit this classification. The "monster group" is
the largest such - and it's frickin' HUGE!

Wait - you know what a group is, right?

>> 4 10^68 Number of H atoms in a "typical" galaxy.
>
>> 4 10^41 Kg  Mass of a "typical" galaxy.
>
> 68-23=45 45-3=42. One power of ten missing.

I fail.

>> 3 10^52 Kg  Mass of the observable universe (exluding Dark Matter).
>
> I wonder if they're just talking about rest mass or what.

I'm fairly sure it's rest mass, yes. Basically, number of atoms times
mass of an atom.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/