POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : So ... when is "piracy" wrong? : Re: So ... when is "piracy" wrong? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:17:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: So ... when is "piracy" wrong?
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Jun 2009 11:50:39
Message: <4a3127cf$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote in message
>> somebody wrote:
>
>>> What makes you think I won't say "you know, I hadn't thought of that"
> should
>>> it truly be the case that I hadn't thought of that?
>
>> Because you've earlier said you'd never change your mind based on an
>> internet discussion, yes?
>
> Not quite the same thing (new angles or data on a problem don't necessarily
> imply different resolutions).

True. And that's why Jim offered his.

> In any case, does my claim that I will never
> change my mind proof that I will never change my mind?

It's definitely evidence. It's even *greater* evidence that even were you to
change your mind you wouldn't admit it.

> Would it have been
> more likely that my mind could be changed, should I have not made that
> claim?

Yes.

> I wish I had that kind of perfect mental control...

Again, there's "you can't disprove it" and "we proved it". It's a question
of how much work goes into doing something for what expected reward. Is
there any proof there's no giant chest of gold under my back yard? No. Is it
worth me getting out the shovel to look for it?  No.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western